Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All Hail Kinsler - The Jedi!

So it's 1am and I'm finally done for the day! Thank God! I'm pooped! I laid in bed tossing and turning until 4:30am and then finally dozed off only to abruptly awoken to the blasting of my annoying alarm at 7:30am. BOO! Justin and I have been coming up with ways to make money, because I don't know if you all got the memo but LAW SCHOOL and BAR EXAMS make for very POOR KIDS! I'm BRIZOKE! I've spent every last penny on PMBR, BARBI, Apartments, Utilities, Books, Paper, Pens, Printers, Lamps, Egg Crates, Food and to top it all off GAS! Damn you Exxon! One of the things I admire most about Justin is his drive and ambition and he's lit a fire in me that has been running very dimly for the past couple of years. As Justin would say, "I'm Hungry!" We've been developing strategies and ideas on how to make some money this summer and putting them into motion this week. More to come on that end in the near future.

We went over K (contracts for you lay people) today in BARBRI and I was reminded of how forever grateful I am to Prof. Jeff Kinsler for his devotion to ASL's bar passage rate and his extensive knowledge and his generosity in sharing it. Contracts is coming easy for me but it's only day 1 of K, so we shall see. Today, Kristie and I did 8 sets of 18 questions on Evidence and Torts and we are averaging about 66% on them which is a good start. Our goal is to get Evidence, Contracts and Torts memorized by next week so we will be ahead of the game. I finished up the Evidence notecards and Kristie is working on the K outline. We are rockin' and rollin'. Davis Whitfield-Cargile stopped by this evening to visit and borrow my PMBR book and he is as crazy as ever. He's decided not to take BARBRI and just get the state specific books online and study on his own. And the great thing is....HE WILL KILL THE BAR EXAM! I wish I was naturally that smart. Law school humbled my brainy ass! It was my moment where I looked around and I wasn't the smartest kid anymore....we are all the smartest kid from our respective school. lol. Yea, my ego got busted --- it was bound to happen sooner or later :)

Justin gave me the best graduation present ever!!! Tickets to the James Taylor Concert in Charlotte Thursday night!! I am so excited. JT is one of my favorites of all time and I am super duper happy and excited to be spending a night with the boy, grooving to great acoustic music from the king of hippies. Yay! Friday we have an engagement/pre-wedding party for Keagan and John and Saturday is Kaitlin's wedding! I am stoked to see the Bloxsom family, it's been too long and they are some of my favorite people in the entire world. Then back here on Sunday morning to work hard and study. I'm glad I'm getting all of the festivities out of my system in the beginning of the bar stuff and I'm working extra hard to be ahead of the game so I will not fall behind.

Exhaustion is setting in m'dears and I'm off to bed..........

Pray I make the right decisions and at the very least I get a good nights rest!

-A-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a long shot time wise. I am a 60 yo gastroenterologist . I have an appointment with Jeff Kinsler, Dean of Belmont Law School regarding my son at 10am tommorrow. He is treated for intermittent depression by a psychiatrist. To the suprise of both his psychiatrist and me, he got depressed and did not show for 3 of his exams a few weeks ago. I got him in to see his psychiatrist who wrote a letter of explanation. However, because he was not registered as disbled, the rules said he could not make up the exams.. He is not actually disabled, but has a intermittent relapsing disease, that picked a bad time to flare. Having apprised myself of the current situation, i am amazed that this process of registration exists as well as the bloody trail of law suits that promted it. So 48hrs hrs later he emailed Kinsler's associate that he would take like to take the exams any time any place in the next 3 days to comply with ABA mandated grade reporting deadlines. He would be willing to take them alll tomorrow , if that was best for faculty. His psychiatrist wrote a letter confirming his situation. I am not sure Kinsler's level of involvement or thoughts , but the law school was going to boot him. You cannot apply for readmission for 2 yrs if you flunk out. Sadly, I am pretty sure he could have passed his exams if he showed up. He passed 1.5 years at Stetson law school before transferring to his home town and left in good academic standing. He went to classes and did the reading. So, my question is, how would you pitch to Kinsler. His psychiatrist is going with me to present his plan for intesived therapy. Fortunately university rules allowed withdrawal. I doubt they have his filled seat. His psychiatrist says he should stay in school and up his therapy. Kinsler's underrlings are nice guys, but clueless about a disease based model for understanding depression and were obviously positioning themselves to minimize the chance of being sued. Like you I am a believer in Southern manners. You don't sue your professors. If you have a medical problem, you get it treated and don't blame your professors. My son.'s response to this was "I got a lot of thakyou letters to write." There is substantial scientific published evidence that the psychiatrist's plan should work. However, law people can't understand the words. I am a doctor and find it challenging. I surfed the net for a weekend and found some excellent Dr. Phil level explanations that helped me understand, but his faculty advisor handed them back to me. My son is neither brilliant or dumb. He has an LSAT of 155 on 2 testings. He had an SAT of 1420 with a verbal of 730. He is not eating scholarship money, but paying full tuition. So how would you recommend I pitch to Kisler to Admit him for the Spring term? Also do you think Kinsler has a photographic memory. He has ungodly GPAs on his cv. Signed Doc-Him. I am computer /Internet impaired although not registered as such. My cell is 615-579-5075. If you have a thought please text me.